RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT & EXPERIMENTATION ACTIVITIES
Promotion of the economic development and competitiveness of the Ligurian system of floriculture and nursery businesses.
The objective of obtaining innovative products is pursued through a multidisciplinary approach, which includes the study of improvement protocols for ornamental species, the selection of native and Mediterranean-adaptable plants and the development of in vivo and in vitro propagation systems aimed at enhancing genotypes of flower species obtained from crossbreeding programmes carried out by the IRF or sector companies collaborating with the IRF.
The innovative product is tested in collaboration with the companies and its performance is assessed throughout the entire production chain.
- Genetic improvements to pot daisies: the creation of varieties with compact development and different flower and leaf patterns, suitable for cultivation with minimal pruning and without the aid of growth regulators, with a view to environmental sustainability.
- Genetic improvements to symphoricarpos: selection from seed plants according to berry colour, compactness (pot or cut), and growth habit.
- Genetic improvements to hellebore for cut flowers: crossbreeding, embryo rescue, selection, in vitro multiplication and in vivo agronomic assessment of genotypes selected for cut flower production in a Mediterranean environment.
- Selection and collection of species, hybrids and varieties of flower species of interest or for potential development, including: hydrangeas, cut flower daisies, peonies, native species and Mediterranean species.
- In vivo and in vitro propagation of species for cut flowers, green and flowering foliage and ornamental vases.